It's Just Macrame Woman!

Gorgeous brown/orange hue pave balls with rich cocoa brown cording
I had a woman stop me in the store the other day; she wanted to compliment me on my Shamballa bracelet; and began to describe how much she appreciated for herself the philosophy behind the jewelry. I smile and thanked her but then said, "it's just macramé".  Truthfully, it's exactly that; but I can also understand how it can be misconstrued as well. The Swarovski crystal pave balls that I utilized in this design appear to be similar to the ones that are utilized in many of the popular Shamballa bracelets today. In this case, I used them because they are GORGEOUS! A somewhat off color of both orange and browns, coupled sweetly with my favorite cocoa brown cording. If strength had a color, sometimes I think it would be in the hues of some browns.
If you look closely you will see that the technique I used is called a square knot.  It is what constitutes macramé designs. Whether they are made in jewelry or in other items such as rugs, clothing and even those funky hanging planters everybody's mom had back in the 70s' and 80s'!
 I guess you might be wondering what her response to THAT little declaration was...the million dollar question...what is the difference? Me. I am.

I am not a follower of Tibetan Buddhists (whom the Shamballa is said to stem from),  nor do I believe in their particular philosophies.  I am, however, a follower of Jesus Christ. Now, I don't knock the next person's beliefs nor their philosophies; we were given  free will to choose what would rest upon and settle in our hearts. Mine just so happens to be Jesus; and so is the type of jewelry that I design. Pieces that are based upon my faith, not beliefs. *Raises hand * Question...the bracelet I designed pictured above and the Shamballa, aren't they one in the same? Not really...and here's why. It's a choice.

Faith is the cause, my belief that stems from my faith is the effect. Cause and effect.  The relationship between actions; one creates an action that the other responds to. That is at the center of who and what Interceding Designs is. Most philosophies are the other way around (just my opinion), the belief or philosophy (the thinking or reasoning of a thing) is the cause and the following or faith in the belief is the effect. Belief is not the gift. Faith is.  Much like my designs, they are gifts to be given; faith is a gift given to us, in measure, by God. Not to be confused in this text with what is giving faith, but the measure of faith that God gifts each of us with; once we have accepted the giving faith. The gift of faith we receive then leads us to acting on or works of faith, as once demonstrated by the in the book of Acts 3:1-10; where he sees a lame man at the gate called Beautiful and calls on the man to stand up and walk in the name of Jesus. See...cause and effect. Having remembered Jesus saying that "even a small amount of this faith could move mountains" (Matthew 17:20; 21:21).


Macramé closure with loop and button clasp
 Although I do like the comfort, ease and presentation of the typical Shamballa closure (it's pretty sha'nazzy!), I flipped my arm around so that she could see that the closure that I used was not one for a Shamballa bracelet. It was a macramé styled closure, with a simple loop and antique-like button to complement the cording. It was my choice to design this piece this way because I have a love for all things macramé; and the colors I choose is because I learned early on that the colors have a way of "speaking" to you. When I think of joy, I see yellows, oranges, fuchsia, and light hues of green. When I think of nobility, poise and authority, I see purples, blues,some greens, black even. The list goes on. As do the stones and beads that I use that reflect the ideals God had laid out in the Old Testament. This is why often times, I will create designs for clients not just based upon their story of where they are at, but the colors and stones I know will inspire them towards where they are going; an admiration of each that is on their wrist or around their necks; or dangling from their ears. Similar to the history of the Shamballa bracelets were the focus is to be on the inner peace and tranquility one can draw from them, signifying a journey of harmony and consciousness, to name a few, is the ideal, the belief behind my designs because of my faith. These bracelets, in respect to the pieces I create, do speak the same story of healing, enlightenment, peace, and even forgiveness. They are just two children on opposite sides of a train track. A choice in beliefs. 
 
Shamballa bracelet
My quest is to design a bracelet where someone can tell the difference between the two. On this particular occasion, I was in search of items that would differentiate between the two. To be able to bring together a beautiful, eclectic design that macramé is but also accentuate mine and the faith of my clients, as well. That is my journey, and I would love to include you in on it too.

Again, for this kid...it all boils down to choice. Above that choice stands two women in an arts and crafts store; each with separate beliefs, but loved and adored by the same God. That is what I see when I encounter the people I have through out my life. Each one as unique as the colors we see and the precious stones I use, but nonetheless each worthy of love, admiration and respect. So for now, as I began my designing process to create an amazing bracelet,  there's nothing too deep or profound here, just macramé.  

Comments

Popular Posts