Creativity Takes Courage-Henri Matisse

Courage
Henri Matisse, an amazing artist, was born on the day of my little sister's birth and died on the day of my mother's birth. What a statement that makes. One of the most influential artists of the 20th century; he was known for being the "breakout" artist who utilized the most daring and strikingly beautiful color palettes, in such a manner that was revolutionary for his time. Over-emphasizing emotional captions, was also one of his many techniques. 

Matisse once stated that "creativity takes courage". You see why, he was on the cutting edge of both techniques that went against the grain, as well as the way he utilized colors, bright and brilliant. 

When I first created Courage, it was to be gifted to a client of mine who I advised that I could take her favorite scripture and reveal the colors hidden within the passage. It truly took courage to be creative at this time in my life. I was just beginning to branch out and really seek to utilize my gifts, my talents. I have been creative in some way shape or form since I was a child. 

Courage is more than just being about a scripture; it began to take on a life of its own...and I've fallen in love with it. A one of a kind piece, she consists of memory wire (I love how it holds perfect coils, never stretching out unless you use beads that are just too heavy to be held in place properly). Sapphire-hued Swarovski crystals, sterling silver tube beads; rich red coral chip beads and the chicest opaque turquoise Swarovski crystals I had laid my eyes on at that time. It is something about how each color is powerful enough to stand out on its own, but the balance they bring each other is stunning to me. 

What symbol of courage do you have to represent the time in your life you had to step out on faith and do something that you have never done before? I would love to design a piece for you that reflects that story. 

Comments

Popular Posts